Can't find a good replacement for traditional egg salad? Look no further! This is the last recipe you will ever need!
Saturday's in the 90's meant cartoons, video games, and egg salad sandwiches! I miss those days now. Though, back then I would have said I was ready to be an adult and freeeeee. What a silly bean I was.
When I decided that I didn't want to eat animals or anything they produce anymore, egg replacements weren't a huge thing. Baking wise you still had flax egg or applesauce, but for egg salad?
There are many tofu-free recipes out there that are supposed to mimic egg salad, but in my personal opinion, they just do not do a good job of really replicating a true egg salad. My recipe does exactly that! If you know, you know. Let's go back to the 90's!
Medium Firm/Firm Tofu - I think medium firm is the best, but it is not always available. I use the same tofu in my vegan scrambled egg.
Vegan Mayo - You can use any vegan mayo that you wish. My go-to is Hellman's vegan brand.
Mustard - Not just for color, but also a nice tangy addition. If you like it a little spicy you can swap this for dijon mustard.
Dill Relish - For added crunch and flavor. You can use 1 tablespoon of vinegar in place of this if that is all you have.
Jalapenos - Optional ingredient alert! I love the spice and crunch this adds, but feel free to leave it out or add a little less if you're sensitive to spice but still want to try.
Sugar - I liked my egg salads on the sweeter side so I always add some sugar to balance out the acidity.
Kala Namak - If you want that true egg-like flavor, you need this stuff! I know a lot of recipes out there either don't call for it, or leave it out, but if you're wanting to substitute eggs, you want it to smell and taste like it, right?
Salt & Pepper - For looks. (just kidding).
🔪Putting everything Together
Step 1: Get your tofu draining/pressing if you haven't yet. In a medium sized bowl, place mayo, mustard, dill relish, jalapenos (if using), sugar, kala namak, salt and pepper.
Step 2: Mix everything until well incorporated and place in fridge if still waiting for your tofu to drain.
Step 3: Crumble the tofu with your hands into the dressing mix, it doesn't have to be precise, as you stir and mix, the tofu will break up more evenly.
Step 4: Fold the tofu in, and either consume immediately or place in the fridge for up to 5 days.
💡Tips For Even More Success
- Make sure you drain your tofu for at least 30 minutes and pat dry with a towel afterwards. Any extra water left in the tofu will drain into your sauce and you will end up with pools of water in your vegan egg salad, or a runny sauce.
- Leaving this vegan egg salad overnight in the fridge before consuming will ensure even more flavor. Leftovers are my favorite food for a reason!
📝What else can I add?
- Sweet Relish - Keeping your sugar low? Use sweet relish in place of dill relish and sugar.
- Smoked Paprika - A perfect topping. If you plan to use this as a cracker spread, make sure to sprinkle this on top to give it a deviled egg feel and taste!
- Dill- Fresh or dried, it doesn't matter. Add it in the mixture or sprinkle on top.
- Banana Peppers - Just do yourself a favor and add some, it's so good!
- Celery/Onions/Bell peppers - all wonderful crunchy factors with added flavor that will take this vegan egg salad to other levels.
❓Frequently Asked Questions
While there are tons of mayo products on the market that use dairy or eggs, there are also quite a few brands of vegan mayo and most of them taste just like typical egg-based mayo.
No. When tofu is frozen, it takes on a completely different texture that would not be good for this particular recipe.
Absolutely! Tofu is the product of the curdling cooked soy milk and packing it together so that it holds shape. Because it is already cooked, it is safe to consume raw tofu and is often eaten just like that in Japan.
Vegan Egg Salad
- 1 package medium-firm or firm tofu
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 2 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- ¼ cup dill relish
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kala namak
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Drain your tofu as well as possible, using a tofu press will benefit you here but you can use the plates and cans method!1 package medium-firm or firm tofu
- While your tofu is draining, mix the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside in the fridge.1 cup vegan mayo, 2 Tablespoon yellow mustard, ¼ cup dill relish, 1 Tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon kala namak, pinch of salt and pepper
- When your tofu is ready, crumble it into the mayo mixture and fold it all together until all of the tofu is well coated. Enjoy right away or place in the fridge for the next day.1 package medium-firm or firm tofu, 1 cup vegan mayo, 2 Tablespoon yellow mustard, ¼ cup dill relish, 1 Tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon kala namak, pinch of salt and pepper
- This will keep up to 5 days in the fridge. After that, it may start to lose flavor and eventually turn bad.
- Spruce it up with extras such as jalapenos, banana peppers, smoked paprika and dill!
- This is best mixed and left to sit over night so that the flavors marry even more, however you can consume right away and it will be perfectly fine.
- If you are sensitive to soy, you can try using pumpkin seed tofu, or hemp tofu. There is also the option to use chickpeas, but keep in mind that it may not taste like a traditional egg salad.